Monday, February 14, 2011

Love, Love, Love Part 4

And the grand finale.  The one that started it all... Considering I have about 21 years of history and memories with this man, I think I'll just stick to a few things I love and appreciate right now for brevity's sake.  And for the sake of everyone that will yell at the screen "Get a room already!". Because I could be mushier, sappier, and more sugary coated dripping with honey sweeter about this man than you could handle.

Christopher Sean Pate
(mmm...Florida...smiling...)

I love that neither one of us has a sense of direction, so every outing that is new becomes....an adventure.

I love that we share a love of the arts together (and what a great musician you are).  Music is a huge part of our lives and who we are, and it's a connection I'm so thankful for.  We have enjoyed live music experiences, Broadway shows, and cool jazz scenes together.  But the coolest thing is that we create and experience worshiping the King of Kings together.  Every week.  For over ten years. What a powerful gift we have the privilege of sharing.

I love that you go shopping with me.  I love it because I know you hate it but you know I enjoy it so you offer to do it.  Women be shopping (you have to read that with attitude), as you like to say.

I love how hard you work to put your family first. You have always been so great about this, and we always feel like we're number one in your life.  And I emphasize how hard you work to do it, because it's harder to do now than it's ever been.  But I love that you still value that so much.

I love your light heartedness and humor.  This is always one of the biggest things people instantly notice and love about you as well.  You are mostly the reason for the laughter, smiles, and giggles in our home.  

I love how our kids think you're the greatest. thing. EVER. Nothing more endearing than a man who is the hero of their home. 

I love to hear you preach.  Every week.  Every time.  All these years. I find myself beaming with pride every week and amazed at the pure gift God has given you.  And it's certainly a gift.  You've got "it". 

I love how you love people.  For someone who thought he would never be a pastor, you have a genuine love and concern for people that makes you an incredible (and natural) pastor.  You always go out of your way to make sure people know they are valued, appreciated, and taken care of.  It's been such a joy watching you in this new role and seeing such a natural fit. And this is ultimately a reflection of how you love God, which is inspiring and challenging.

I love how you make coffee for me sometimes and (especially as of late with my pregnant self) have been letting me sleep in some.  Not that either one of us sleeps in much with our little ray of sunshine (Cadence) coming in every morning, but still...

I love that I just want to be around you. All of the time. After all these years.  It speaks a lot about you and our relationship that in this season of life (having to run the church out of our home office) we are together pretty much 24/7 and we're not at each other's throats or always antsy to get out of the house and away from each other.  Even if we're just watching a TV show together after the kids go to bed, I just like being in the same room as you. Still my best friend after all this time. How great is that.

To end I quote a Harry Connick Jr favorite:

If they asked me I could write a book
About the way you walk and whisper and look
I could write the preface on how we met
So the world would never forget
And the simple secret of the plot
Is just to tell them that I love you a lot
Then the world discovers as my book ends
How to make two lovers of friends 

I love you, Chris.  Happy Valentine's Day.

And Happy Love day to all of our friends and family.  You are so special in our lives, and we love all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment