Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love, Love, Love Part 3

Addison James Pate
First born.  Son of my youth.  It's always hard to put into words the depths of you. But it's easy to talk about some things I love:

I love how hospitable you are when people are over to our home.  When other kids are here you are always making sure they are okay, include them in your games, and get them food and drinks.  You even always show people that come to watch you and Cadence where everything is and make sure that they are alright.  You have a genuine love for people at such a young age. 

I love your laugh.  You can be so serious, so when you are really tickled by something and you let out this little gut laugh, it is a sound your Mommy and Daddy love to hear. It reminds us in the midst of your maturity that you are still a little boy.  Our little boy.

I love your long eyelashes.  Someday I know this will be one of those small things that your wife will love about you, too. Cause what girl doesn't love a guy with pretty eyes?

I love your thirst for knowledge and learning.  You have always blown us away at your level of intelligence for your age, but now that you are older we are seeing that it's not only a natural inclination and gift, but that you truly do love learning new things.  You are random trivia fact guy, and it's one of your "party tricks" to go around quizzing anyone at our house about all kinds of facts. 

I love, love to hear you sing. You have the sweetest, purest, most pitch perfect voice.  I will go into mourning for days and days when adolescence finds you and wrestles that innocent high voice out of you and trades it for a (albeit much manlier and undoubtedly more cool for you) lower, more adult tone. Although I'm sure you will continue to have a great voice,  I will have to have lots of recordings to cherish and relive those sweet little boyhood days.

I love your "fly away" arms (and anyone that knows you will know exactly what I'm talking about).  When something is exciting, like a video game or show, or you are anticipating someone's reaction to something, or anything intense, you shake your hands really fast up and down.  Sometimes it shakes your whole body.  You're probably the only kid we know that gets a workout playing games (that's not like the Wii games).  It's definitely a unique thing!

I love how God is drawing you already.  You know Him, and your relationship with Him is real. We have theological discussions with you that we would have with adults.  You are such a deep thinker and are already wrestling with issues like sin, suffering, starvation, homeless, and those that don't know God.  I can see your compassion coming out when you talk about those things, and I know that God will continue to use that for His Kingdom.  Your innate sense of justice and wanting things to be right comes out in even the most minute every day situations. You also already have a very acute conscious and are quick to repent and know when you have done wrong.  And it always really bothers you.  Such a tender, tender heart.

I love that you close your eyes when you hug.  You love so deeply.

There is a special relationship between a mother and a son.  It's such a treasure for me to have the privilege of having both a son and a daughter and understanding and knowing the differences within the dynamics of that. I know how hard that day will be as I'm watching God join you to the one whom you will leave and cleave with.  To give your heart to.  Until that time (which I have plenty of precious years to enjoy and prepare myself before that day comes), I am happy to be the woman who has your heart.  I will nurture and hold it dear to my own and gently prepare to send you out into the world.  Love you my dear Addison.

No comments:

Post a Comment