Sunday, January 3, 2010

First project of 2010!

I was very delighted to get a new sewing machine for Christmas. I have just started messing around with sewing and haven't made much more than a pillow and a cover for Cadence's nap mat (when she went to Mother's Day Out) with a borrowed machine. But now that I have my new machine, I'm very inspired to get going! It's always something I've wanted to do, and it's a skill I'd like to pass down to my daughter because I believe she's going to be off the charts artsy-craftsy!

I saw this little project online and decided it was perfect. Cadence colors all of the time, and her crayons are constantly spread all over the house and getting lost. I saw this and knew I wanted to make it for her. It's not perfect, but for my first attempt at something like this I am pretty proud!


It's called the "Crayon Roll Up"- this is the full view unrolled

Each crayon has its own little pocket

My only little glitch was putting the folded side of the pocket on the bottom, leaving the raw edge on the top of the pocket, which you can see in the pic. Oh well- I wasn't going to start over because of it!!
Then you fold the flap down over the crayons (to keep from falling out) and roll it up! Also perfect for sticking in a purse to entertain little girls on the go!

Voila! Cadence has been playing with it since I finished :)

Hopefully the first of many projects to come!!

1 comment:

  1. Brava!! That is a brave little project to start out with, and it looks fantastic!! I'm especially impressed with your use of different stictches! Isn't sewing so fun??

    Now for clothes!! Haha :) If you do, start with getting a pattern for a skirt, and practice on material called muslin (so you don't get frustrated if you mess up-patterns are tricky!)...you'll be making masterpieces in no time ;)

    Yay for sewing!!

    ReplyDelete