Thursday, January 21, 2010

Grateful

Ps. 37:25 "Once I was young, and now I am old.
Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned
or their children begging for bread."
A verse that has always brought me comfort. Words to a jammin' praise song that we love to do (Just Wanna Say). And something that jumped out of the Bible and became a living picture to us.

Cultivating an environment of giving and gratefulness is something I'm more mindful of these days with two little sets of eyes becoming more aware of life happening around them. I'm thankful for opportunities to show our kids ways we can give to help others. Chris explained the Haiti situation to Addison when it happened and showed him where it was on his globe. Addison prayed for the children that night. Then yesterday he saw a commercial on one of the cartoon networks with young people encouraging other young people to go to a website to give to the disaster. He came and got me, rewound the commercial just to show me, and suggested that we do that so we can help. I love his little heart. Children are self-absorbed by nature and do not know any other way to be unless we help show them that there is a big world around them filled with people that are hurting, struggling, and in a lot worse shape than we are. I see the natural capacity for great compassion in Addison, and we're doing all we can to nurture that and provide experiences and opportunities for that to grow.

I'm so thankful that God is blessing us so we can show our children that God's Word is true, and He is faithful to take care of His children. We could choose to look at our financial situation as lacking and constantly worry about how we're going to make it all happen (which unfortunately does happen sometimes), but I'm very aware of what Chris and I are saying, especially in front of our kids. I'm choosing to overlook my emotions and fears and change my perspective to see that our situation is a constant opportunity for God to show Himself strong and provide for us. Over the weekend, we had two different families in the church approach us and say that they were praying and God spoke to them to give money to us. They did not know it, but it was perfect timing and we really needed it! The coolest part about the whole thing is that we got to turn around and testify to our kids, telling them about how God spoke to those people and blessed us through them. They were amazed. In our line of business security doesn't always come from the places the world looks to for security (namely finances)! But I want my family to find their security in God alone, so they can trust Him and feel safe and comforted knowing that He is taking care of us and will always take care of us. My heart is overflowing with thankfulness to God for these tangible, teachable moments so that it's not just something we're teaching in theory. At the ages of six and (almost) four, my children already have the physical evidence of God's provision and are learning at a young age that we can trust God. How awesome! It's also very important for them to learn to be content and not always be looking for more and focusing on what we don't have, but constantly be thankful that we have what we need! It will be exciting as opportunities come for us to be on the other end of that kind of blessing as well so that we can experience the joy of giving together. We already get to experience this in the little boy that we support through World Vision (who Addison used to refer to as "the little boy who lives far, far away").

I want my children to be children, carefree and void of the "adult" worries of life. To feel safe and secure, knowing that their Daddy and Mommy are taking care of everything and more importantly that God is. To let the grown ups be concerned with grown up things. To be free to be who they are. And as I pen those words from the heart of a parent, I can't help but feel that's how God feels about us as well. We would do well to let God take care of the God things, and we just do what we do.

Peace out from the Pate house.

No comments:

Post a Comment