Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hello, World.

So I'm a little behind (and I actually wrote this text two days ago but just got the pics downloaded on my computer today), but at 1:39pm on July 29th, Jaxon Christopher Pate came to join us weighing 7lbs 11oz and 20 3/4 inches long.  And a good set of lungs :)

Fresh to the world, and totally perfect.

The labor and delivery experience was so surreal that I still just shake my head in disbelief when I recall the day's events.  I think I will make that a separate post to not overwhelm this space here, seeing as how I'm about to drop a major photo bomb on you!

So today, little man is nine days old.  I tell you, I can only imagine the journey those little guys go through to get here and then adjust to this new life on the outside.  A little overwhelming, confusing, and tough to say the least!  So, all things considered, he is doing pretty good.  Had his one week checkup a few days ago and he was right on schedule looking good.  We're still working out some nursing issues/tummy troubles, but time will tell if it's just him adjusting to everything or if there's something else going on.  Addison and Cadence both ended up being lactose intolerant and had some reflux issues, so I'm hoping not to repeat that but at least I know what to expect if we find ourselves there again.

He is so sweet and tiny and extremely cute.  He was doing the dreaming/gas smiles in his sleep at just a day or two old and we discovered a huge dimple on one side (possibly on both sides), so when he starts flashing those smiles for real in a few weeks, it's over with.  He will slay us all with his extreme cuteness and charm.  I am cherishing the tiny fingers and toes and snuggles and taking it one day at a time. I am going to break up these posts, like I mentioned above, and I will share further thoughts/feelings so far from the road to recovery.  I mostly just wanted to share some pics, since I know there will be many, many more- gotta keep up!  I apologize for the low quality of some of them- these were mostly taken on my phone so they're not all the greatest.  And some of them I used my cool iPhone apps Instagram and Camera + (which I highly recommend) to play around with them.


He definitely has the signature "Pate pout" bottom lip that all three children have. And they all stuck it out the day they were born. Cadence still occasionally does the same pout :)



This was shortly after they cleaned him up and brought him to the room.  He was quiet and calm.



Such a sweet, sweet moment.  My parents brought Addison and Cadence up to see us a little later in the day to meet their baby brother.  I love Addison's expression here- so tender and full of love. When they went back home that night, he walked over to the little hospital bassinet, leaned over and said, "Bye, little buddy." My heart turns to mush every single time I relive that moment. 
We actually do not have a big sister holding baby brother picture.  Cadence was a little unsure of the whole thing.  I think she was mostly just scared of him being so tiny and a little overwhelmed with it all.  She did not want to hold him, and that was okay.  She'll just have to ease into her new role. She's checking it all out in this picture.



Day 2 in the hospital.  I can't even take all of the cuteness and sweetness in this picture. And light hair.  The jury is still out on exactly what color it will be- it's different in different lighting!




The hospital did this cute thing where they brought a little birthday cake for the siblings to celebrate the new arrival.  While I'm talking about the hospital I should say that we had an awesome experience there and really liked the hospital and staff a lot.

And morning number three.  Waiting to go home.  He was getting sleepy in his "going home" outfit.  We were all sleepy and really tired of being in the hospital at that point.  We waited and waited to get discharged, and it felt like forever!



Night number one being home.  And this is exactly how he felt about getting a "sponge" bath. Can't have a full bath until his cord comes off, and he is not so much a fan of being patted down with a wash rag and getting cold.  If there was a sound effect to this picture it would be loud. This is usually the reaction we get to changing his diaper, too.  

During one of his brief awake times in the morning a few days old.  He found his face in that mirror and it was so cute!


 He smiles all of the time while he's sleeping.  Can't wait till those are for real and right at us!

This is my view a lot, sitting on the couch and he's happily passed out after a full tummy :)  

 Yep, this is what we mostly see for now.  Not a lot of awake time in the first days.  He really likes that little bouncy vibrator seat and spends lots of snooze time there.
And there's some eyes.  This is the most recent pic, taken yesterday at 10 days old.  He likes to look out the window.  I love looking at that little doll face :)


Here we are with Daddy.  He loves Daddy and his silly songs and voices.  Look at the teeny tiny hands in the grown up hands.

Many, many more to come!  Addison and Cadence come home from Grandparent camp tomorrow so we're looking forward to having the whole family together again.  I must say though, it has been a real blessing to have this week (and a half) to just adjust, try to rest as much as possible (ha!), recover physically (for me), and get lots and lots of tiny snuggles and cuddles.  Thank you, thank you to the grandparents responsible for loving on our kids and giving us a little break.  We are so thankful for this time, and we're very excited to have them back tomorrow!  Peace out from the Pate house.

No comments:

Post a Comment