Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Good Morning.

Actually, I should really say great morning or fabulous morning or amazing morning.  Because I'm sitting on a balcony overlooking the Atlantic ocean drinking my morning coffee as I write you today. This was the traveling part I spoke about previously. And now you can see why I was so eager to be at this moment.

This. Is exactly what we needed. We are in Jacksonville, Fl for a pastor's conference, which on its own would be awesome enough. But we came down a day early to have an (early) anniversary celebration and stayed at this amazing resort right on the beach. We ate in the dining room last night with panaramic views of the ocean behind us and then spent a cozy evening in warming our feet by the fireplace in our room and just being. Time to actually sit and look at each other, talk, and enjoy each other's company without a million things competing for our attention.

We rose early this morning, walked down to the beach and saw the sunrise.  Picked up some cool sea shells and just sat there in front of the mighty ocean feeling the gentle beginnings of sunshine cover our faces.  It's funny how you don't realize how noisy your life has become until there's silence. The soothing sound of the tide rolling in and out has been the soundtrack to our day, carrying peace as the waves crash down on the shore and drawing out everything unlovely and unwanted in my soul and returning it out into the vast sea.  There's a lot of good noise in my life. The sound of my children's laughter and delight would have been a fitting harmony to the song of the ocean. (Although mommy and daddy need time away, too, so we are glad they are home enjoying their time with G-ma, G-pa, and Aunt Jordo)  But there's noise that has crept in that I don't like. So I'm happily recalibrating with an overabundance of silence, trying to iron out the seemingly permanent  tension wrinkle between my eyes. We both are.  I haven't seen Chris relax in, well, I don't really know how long. So I will say it's been both long overdue and very timely at the same time.  And we are enjoying every moment of it and not so secretly wishing we had about one or two more days of it.

But we are also excited to be at the conference. Being around people, when our soul and spirit are properly refreshed, actually energizes us.  We just work like that, and it's probably weird to some people. These relationships with other pastors and friends are very encouraging, life giving, and just as needed as the relaxation we're currently enjoying. So really it's the best of all of it.  Having this time of rest and being together before hand will allow us to maximize our experience the rest of the week.  And come home to the family we love and the life and job we love and be better people. We are so grateful.  God is good.

I took a ton of pics early this morning, but to tell you the truth I don't want to take the time to load them right now, because I think we're about to go for another walk (like exercise pace) on the beach before we move on.  I did snap this one off the computer so you can see where I'm writing from this morning.

Yep.  I'm here. Peace out from the (temporary) Pate house.

No comments:

Post a Comment