Friday, July 30, 2010

Top Secret

I found Addison sitting on the couch writing in a pad this afternoon. When I walked up to him, he put his hand up to shield what it was he was writing. He says to me, "I'm writing in a journal. You know, like you're supposed to write how you feel and stuff. It's top secret." I can only gather that he's acquired this knowledge from some show on TV or something, but nonetheless I thought it was cute. A couple of thoughts went through my mind. #1 I was wondering just what it was he would be writing about. #2 I was wondering how well he would be able to write what he wanted to say. He hasn't really done a lot of writing on his own in school yet. It's mostly spelling words or sentences he copies. So of course (because he's too young to worry about the whole parental boundaries of privacy thing) I picked it up later on. And this is what I found:

In case you can't tell because he ran out of room and it's all smushed that says "Mommy". Oh yes it does. You can imagine that my heart melted a little upon this discovery.

I will definitely encourage him to continue to write about things he feels. Being a journaler myself (that began at an early age) and a writer, of course I will encourage this. Chris and I both know about our son that at the age of six, he is already a deep soul. We would be so lucky to be able to know what goes on in that mind of his sometimes.

And hopefully, prayerfully, I will be the only female that he writes about who has his heart for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment