Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Beginning of the End and the Beginning

How's that for a confusing title? That's pretty accurate right now (confusing and crazy). It's been so long since I've been able to post because our life is turned completely upside down and then some right now. To be expected, of course, but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier. Some things that have transpired since the last post:

*And I should make this disclaimer now that posting might be a little sparse during this transition, so the chunks you get might be a little longer than is good blog etiquette, and might be highly charged with emotion as I process, so I'm just sayin'. You've been warned.*

A trip to Houston to find a home. I'm sorry to report that we did not come home with a home. I don't want to say it was a waste of time because it was still good to be there and be with City Life Church (henceforth to be referred to as CLC) people, and we also got to spend time with some wonderful family. Our little trip to the zoo was also fun, and I'm glad we took time to do a couple of things for the kids because they were such troopers through it all. However, it was a little disappointing that all of the hours spent driving around Houston looking at houses ended up with us now in Abilene scrambling in the eleventh hour to find a place to rest our heads in a week and a half when Houston becomes home. This has been consuming a majority of my time, and it's proven to be much more stressful than I had anticipated/planned for. Trying to find a place when you don't know anything about the areas, and having several different opinions from people that all are wonderful and are offering their help but everyone had different things to say, is tough. Not to mention I didn't think I'd still be having to deal with all of it after the trip when I now have so many other things to do. I hope that by this time tomorrow we will have a home. There is something in the works as we speak.

A few pics from the zoo (I have lots more, so I'm going to throw my pics on Shutterfly if you want to see them later):

This guy was being so funny. He was right up against the glass and was playing with the kids.




Saying my goodbyes to lots of wonderful people at Hendrick Health Club. My Active Living (the older adults) class gave me a party last Friday, and then another party after my farewell Jam class last night. Having my last classes was a bit surreal- hasn't quite hit me yet.

My sweet little Active Living class. They are so fun.
The beautiful cake they got me :)


A massive garage sale this past weekend. We spent half of Thurs. and all of Fri into the wee hours of the morning getting ready, but it was worth it- we made good money and got rid of a TON of stuff. Yay for us. It was a win that I desperately needed, even though it was a pain.

This same weekend also had Chris's final message at our church here (newly known as Grace Point, formerly MSCC), our final Sunday here as a family, Addison's baptism that afternoon (which will have its own stand alone post following this one), and then a leadership meeting where we were prayed over and then had a big reception for us afterwards. It was very sweet. I don't know that I've ever heard Chris preach like that. It's podcast worthy, if anyone out there would like to give it a listen. (Go to mscc.tv and go to the media section) Since the kids and I will be here one more Sunday, it didn't quite feel like I'm leaving yet. But I don't think it will all really sink in until that U-haul is pulling away and Abilene is in the rear view mirror.

The priceless expression of shock from coming up from cold water! What a special day.
My amazing life group, Chrysalis, at our reception. They gave me a beautiful book that they all wrote very kind and generous words in.


It hits me in waves. Ebb and flow. Waves of emotion about leaving, waves of anxiety about all of the things to do, waves of excitement for all the things to come, etc. What is a constant right now is both exhaustion and emotion. Those are there in some form at all times! And Chris leaves tomorrow for Bootcamp in Nashville, which is exciting, but also crazy for me as I head into one of the biggest weekends of the year for me- the APAC dance recital which includes both me and my children. Extra rehearsals, big show, and packing up my house and finding a new one in between, without my husband here. I'm going to stop talking now because I feel another wave coming on just thinking about all of that and it's not a good one!

Obviously lots going on right now. If you have a moment, say a prayer for the Pates as we make this massive life transition into a new (large) city, new jobs, new culture, saying goodbye to eight years of life that happened here, and the craziness happening up to that point otherwise known as moving. We'd sure appreciate it :) Peace out from the Pate house.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to update! We'll be praying for you! Ross will be at bootcamp too. :) We have only 15 weeks left here in DC, and we'll be in the same position too, phew, sounds exhausting! So glad it's all for God's glory because he will bring the grace that is sufficient! What a whirlwind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! Yes, His grace is sufficient and I'm just buckling my seatbelt and holding on for the ride for now!

    ReplyDelete