Friday, February 6, 2009

Words of the Wise

I could fill a book with the funny, random, and precociously wise things that come out of Addison's mouth.  I thoroughly enjoy the process of him processing life as it comes at him.  For some reason a lot of our deep conversations happen on the little six minute drive to church on Wednesdays.  When I say deep I'm not being sarcastic.  At five years old he is already delving into some theologies and philosophies that I find myself searching (and praying) for ways to communicate properly and effectively to him.  We (mostly him) had a funny and random conversation on the way to church last week, so I will relay it to you here:

(Literally out of thin air:)
Addison:  Mommy, I'm just glad I'm not a girl.
Me: Why is that?
Addison: Well, because then I would have to push out the babies.  And that would really hurt. 
Me: (thinking how wise my son is and how he should always remember to appreciate that) Yep.  It really hurts.
Addison: But I do want to have kids one day.  (pause)  It's more fun when you have a family.
Me:  You will be a really great daddy.  
Addison: Yeah, but it's not up to me if I have kids.  It's God's decision.  He's the one that decides if you have a family.  
(pause)  I hope I've been good enough for God to pick me to have kids. 
Me: (pause, wondering how to answer that) Well, it's not about how good you are.  God knows in your heart you want to have kids so you will have a family one day.  He gives you the desires of your heart. 
Addison: Oh.  I don't know why some people don't have kids.  It's not very fun.


And leaving you with a conversation he had with Chris about the tooth fairy:

Chris: Maybe since you lost a big front tooth you'll get more money from the tooth fairy.
Addison:  Yeah, well maybe.  But I shouldn't get too much money because then I might love money more than God.  And some people do like money more than they like God.  And that's not good. 


Um, yeah.  I don't ever remember having a conversation about that with him.  Maybe similar things, but not that specifically.  Good grasp of the Kingdom, kiddo. Makes me wonder what else is floating around in that little head...

No comments:

Post a Comment